Havarti Kale Tomato Pie with Hashbrown Crust
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 1 pie, about 6 servings
Serving Size: 1/6 of the pie
- 3 cups shredded, peeled potatoes (3 – 5 potatoes, depending on how big your potatoes are)
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil or bacon fat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oil or bacon fat
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups packed, chopped raw kale greens
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- About 14 cherry tomatoes
- 1 strip of lowfat bacon, fried crisp, drained, and chopped (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt)
- Freshly ground pepper
- A dash of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and shred the potatoes, then, in a bowl, toss the shredded potatoes with 2 Tablespoons of cooking oil or bacon fat, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some freshly ground pepper. (If you are using bacon fat, cut down the amount of salt because the fat from the bacon is a little salty already.)
- Pour the oiled potatoes into a 9 inch pie pan and pat the potatoes around and up the sides of the pie pan to form an even layer across and up the sides of the pie pan. Bake at 425 for 30 – 45 minutes or until the hashbrowns are golden brown and crispy (at least on the top edges).
- While the crust is baking, peel and chop the garlic and, in a small bowl, mix it with 1/2 teaspoon of oil or bacon fat. Wash and chop the kale leaves into small bits, then toss the kale with the garlic and oil and let set for 5 – 10 minutes. (This lets the kale leaves soften a bit before you cook them.)
- Heat a frying pan or wok over medium to medium high heat. Add the kale with garlic oil and onion and sautee just until the kale is wilted and bright green. The kale should reduce in size considerably as it cooks as well, so you end up with about 1 1/2 cups of cooked kale. If the crust isn’t done yet, remove the kale from the heat and place into a bowl to keep it from over-cooking.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, Red Robin Seasoning, pepper, and nutmeg.
- When the crust is done, spoon the cooked kale mixture into the crust, arranging it fairly evenly to fill the crust. Top with the shredded cheese and sprinkle with bacon (if you’re using bacon), then pour in the egg mixture. Set the cherry tomatoes into the cheese, pushing them down gently into the mixture so only the top half of the tomato shows.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the quiche is set. Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes before cutting the pie. Serve warm.